After staying grounded for two months, it feels strange to prepare to travel again. And, it’s interesting to be heading to NYC as a tourist for the first time ever. I often wondered how that would feel. Now I get to find out.
As I opened my suitcase, a copy of an article I wrote The Sky’s No Limit – Packing Your Way to the Top slipped out of the pocket. I started to read it and reminded myself of the simple steps to truly travel with savvy, ease and grace for two days or two weeks in a well-planned carry-on. I thought you might enjoy it, too. So, here it is. Feel free to take what works for you and leave the rest. Enjoy!
The average executive travels from 20 to 120 days per year. So, how does a top performer maintain a polished-performance as easily in the air as on the ground? Let’s find out.
1. Pack Light. The ability to move quickly through the airport to taxis, hotels and meetings will save you time, energy and unnecessary added stress.
2. Power Up and Away. It may not be your first choice, but it’s your best choice…wear your power outfit in flight. Hang the jacket to minimize wrinkles and worry. You never know who you may meet and want to impress in-flight. Looking your best let’s you rest easy all the way.
3. Mix-n-Match. You’ll want three shirt options to go with each bottom. For the men, a white, a blue and a striped dress shirt with one or two coordinating ties will do the trick. Add in one blazer (solid), a knit top and a dark wash pair of jeans and you’re good to go anywhere. Women add one jacket and a trouser, skirt or dark wash pair of jeans to coordinate with your power outfit. A wrap, a scarf, easy-to-pack jewelry and a small clutch-size handbag will strategically take you from daytime to evening at a moment’s notice. For two to three day trips, one pair of shoes with a matching belt should complete the looks. For longer trips, consider a second pair of shoes (with a matching belt) for greatest mix-n-match-ability.
4. Travel-Size, Please. Keeping toiletries light and small saves space and weight. Refill your kit each time you return home. It will make packing for the next trip quick and easy as well.
5. Wrinkles Away. Hang everything as soon as you reach the hotel. A quick spray with Proctor & Gamble’s Fabreeze or Very Incredible Products’ Wrinkle Free (each available in 3oz. travel size) will quickly freshen items and eliminate travel-ness.
6. The Right Luggage. Light weight luggage with exterior pockets will enable easy access to laptops, tablets, boarding passes, cell phones and in-flight work files or reading materials.
A well-prepared, packed and polished traveler doesn’t care if the business takes place on the ground or in the air. He or she knows that the perfect ‘pack-age’ will send all the right messages about you above and beyond.
If you have questions or comments, you know I always love to hear from you.
Until next time, be nice to your self,